19840103 SHOWBOATS Stabler refuses $1 million offer TABJ
Stabler refuses $1 million offer New Orleans Saints quarterback Kenny Stabler, Stabler, facing yet another operation on his old knees, has turned down a $1 million offer to play a spring of football with the United States Football Football League, his lawyer said Monday. Henry Pitts said Stabler rejected the offer from the Memphis Showboats because he felt committed to continue building the Saints. Stabler, Stabler, 38, led the team to an 8-8 8-8 8-8 finish in his second season with New Orleans, tying the National Football League club's best record. "He said he was very flattered as it was a very lucrative offer," Pitts said, "but that he did not feel like the job had been completed that he started in New Orleans." Stabler was picked up by Saints coach Bam Phillips after being waived by Houston, from which Phillips had been fired before coming to New Orleans. Plagued by knee problems, he finished the season 176-311-18, 176-311-18, 176-311-18, 176-311-18, 176-311-18, throwing for 1,988 yards and nine touchdowns. He is signed to a 1-year 1-year 1-year contract at a reported reported $600,000 salary, which is due for renegotiation Feb. 1. Phillips has said Stabler has a job with the team "as long as he wants it." The offer from the Memphis USFL club came last month despite the fact that Stabler is scheduled scheduled for arthroscopic knee surgery this month. More football Washington Redskins' quarterback coach Jerry Rhome, a candidate for the head coaching job with the USFL's Oklahoma Outlaws, said that he had failed to come to terms with the team and would remain with the Redskins.